The Long Highway

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Welcome.

Hello to anyone who might be happening onto these pages.

For a long time, I had a website at Earthlink and another blog on Blogger. I would go through phases of furiously updating it, and then let it sit for months, or more recently, a year without any changes or updates. Eventually such things are more of an embarassment than anything else.

The blog seems to have disappeared in the world of Google purchases and Blogger upgrades. But it seems like the best way to keep in touch with everyone and let them know what is going on as my wife and I embark on a new chapter in our lives, so I've started a new one. With all the hubub in our lives it will be hard to touch base with everyone, so I am gonna try to make sure you can get the latest here.

As an added bonus you can post your own coments as well. Remember this is an all-ages board so keep it clean, folks.

In just a few short weeks, we will be uprooting ourselves and moving to Los Angeles after 8 years in Chicago (for me, 13 for my wife).

I will be pursuing a Master in Fine Arts in Film Editing at the American Film Institute. My wife will be seeking to apply her excellent skills and hard-won MBA in a new position (to be determined).

Needless to say, this is a huge corner being turned for both of us. My work as an computer technician and management consultant over the last 10-15 years has been sometimes financially rewarding, sometimes not, and it has had some personal highlights. But ultimately I was not satisified. All I had ever wanted to do since I was a kid was work in the film industry, or barring that some creative endeavor. But like so many folks, I just sort got into a cycle of work that ultimately was leading down a road with no rewards, creatively. I tried very hard to mold a career that would satisfy me, ultimately unsucessfully. And so, with the loving help and support of my wife, I am embarking on a new career, a dream career really, and have every confidence that I will succeed. My current employer has arranged for me to work in the LA area for the last two weeks of the summer, to my undying gratitude. We'll be out there at the end of June.

In the meantime . . .

We have to find a new place to live and drive across the country with a truck and a VW Beetle to get there.
We have to sell a lot of our furniture and give the rest away.
. . . and all that little piddly moving crap. You know the drill.

We'll keep you posted.