The Long Highway

Monday, June 07, 2004

Tonight's flick: Sullivan's Travels, a Preston Sturges picture and a corker at that. Great dialogue, clever as hell at a breakneck pace but with timing just right -- so it isn't rat-at-tat unrealistic like the horrible, horrible Gilmore Girls. It actually sounds like the characters are real people saying things real people might actually say to each other. It's not glib, I guess, is what I'm saying, just clever. Highly recommended, great performances throughout. I had seen The Lady Eve some time ago at the urging of my friend Peter and I didn't care for it: I felt the dialogue rather plopped out of the mouths of Fonda and Stanwyck, and additionally, I couldn't suspend my disbelief that Fonda's character could be so stupid as to fall for the case of mistaken identity that is the flick's central conceit. This picture was great and I was very surprised by Veronica Lake's handling of the tricky dialogue and timing, particularly in her first scene.

Anyway. Spent today getting my car partially fixed and then going to the doctor's, the store, and catching up on all the little crap that fell through the cracks this weekend. Received the lion's share of my school books from Amazon and organized them all. Working my way through them.

Time for bed.