The Long Highway

Monday, August 16, 2004

Yesterday was a day for sleeping late, playing a little catch-up, watching some baseball (the Cubs dropping one to the Dodgers) on TV and then in the late afternoon driving over to Pasadena for a walk and a delicious dinner of Himalayan cuisine at the Tibet-Nepal House on Holly Street. Totally wonderful, a peaceful and tranquil setting (as any Tibetan restaurant I've ever been in has been) and delicious dumpling and noodle dishes. It was the resturant's 3d anniversary so drinks, like a yummy mango shake, were on the house.



The entryway to the restaurant had a warm, welcoming feel that was reflected by the warm, welcoming staff. I even found a long-sought-after Tibetan cookbook for sale.



Before dinner we walked around Old Town Pasadena, which was a marvelous collision of mission revival and art deco architecture, lovely shops, a very relaxed vibe. Notable was Pasadena's beautiful city hall:



Opposite the City Hall is this sculpture of Jackie Robinson and Mack Robinson, of whom I'm afraid I don't know much.



Someone's got some 'splainin' to do.



Although I'm not sure I really want to know.