The Long Highway

Friday, August 06, 2004

Up early again today, with a stiff neck for some reason. Didn't feel like I slept on it funny.... anyway... a brief e-flurry later it's time fro meditation, and breakfast. No giant walk today. Too stiff and grumpy.

Yesterday, watched 2 chapters of The Decalogue, a wonderful series of films based around the 10 Commandments, and while they are thoroughly absorbing, they are also quite heavy and sometimes horribly depressing. Did some reading and then watched The Rules of the Game. Now this is a film which I quite like and respect, and I understand what the filmmaker has achieved, but even though I have tried very hard, I just don't understand why this film is praised as one of cinema's greatest achievements. Is it a wonderful picture? Yes, in many ways. But even after watching it with scholarly commentary, I still don't quite understand why it is held up as such a profound achievement when, say Cocteau is forgotten.