The Long Highway

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Making an effort

Trying to make more of an effort to be organized and get things done. I used to be really good at it. Still not used to the routine of being a stay-at-home-Dad, I guess, though in truth the "routine" as such has only been established kind of recently. Jack's schedule has become more regular and his needs more predictable, and so there's more of a timetable now for me to get stuff done. In the mornings almost every day Jack wakes up between 7 and 8 for a feeding, which he devours and goes back to sleep until 10 or 11. In that time I can usually make breakfast, check email, update blogs. Then Jack's up again and fed again and usually he is awake until his next feeding time mid-afternoon, which curtails my activities somewhat. I am usually able to get a couple of things done but I do spend a lot of time holding him and playing with him. The sometimes it's a mid-afternoon nap, and sometimes not, and Mommy is usually home either around 3, 4 or 5 depending on how harrowing her work schedule has been.

Sometimes instead of afternoon nap -- or if I'm lucky in tandem with it -- is errand-running, taking a walk and going to the store or what have you. Sometimes, the day has just gotten away from me.