The Long Highway

Saturday, July 30, 2005

The week that wasn't

A week of not really getting much done, or so it felt. But that's not true. Hung a whole bunch of pictures, got up to LA to meet a friend and get out of the house for an afternoon, did a lot of daddying to Jack. Totally backslid on all diet and exercsie, due mostly to a heat wave gripping SoCal. Not so bad right where we live, and our apartment is shady and cool and stayed that way most days, but stepping out into the sun was a mistake. Thigs evened out later in the week but today, another hot one.

Trying like hell to figure a way to afford a trip to Vegas on a shoestring to see some old friends for the first time in more than a year, just a quick overnight drive basically. Not sure if it will be possible due to a shift to a school schedule that's a week earlier, not to mention the money, though I don't gamle -- just wanna hand with the guys. Hope it works out.

G and Jack are out shopping. This is the first time I have had the house to myself for a couple of hours in, I dunno, weeks, I guess. I LOVE Jack and taking care of him all day is a blast but it is also nice to have a little time to myself. Less than planned -- we all slept in a little this morning, which wa snice, all three of us curled up in bed together with Boris next to the bed. So G only left about 90 minutes ago, and I spent the interim looking up some stuff, editing and posting some pictures to Jack's blog and now I have got to clean up the kitchen, call Mom and Dad and shower up . . . and then, maybe, get going on some of the work I had planned to do today. We shall see!

By the way, I have done the reading and at this point I can safely say that Judge Roberts is a ideological douche-bag. Exactly the kind of under-the-radar weasel I am not surprised to see Wiffle-Brain's handlers tell him to nominate. And now he is actually going to appoint that cranky old shit-eater Bolton in a recess appointment. The only thing worse than the utter shamelessness of these rotten, despicable men is the fact that they do whatever the hell they please and get away with it. The Karl Rove thing, I mean my God, there isn't one thing on it in the paper today. Not one item, and this is the LA Times. Not even on the investigation. It's all been neatly swept away. I have never seen a gang of thugs and goons with such a reckless disregard for the balance of powers intended by the Founding Fathers. The worst thing is that people just keep giving them a free pass. It's sad, horrifying and unbelievable. It's like he is a corrupt little king, ruling by fiat. Whatever he wants, be it unconstitutional, unethical, immoral or even illegal, he just does it and nobody calls him on it. The weak, castrated corpse that was the Washington Press Corps showed some faint signs of life badgering the administration about Nigergate or whatever, but have slithered back into their scum-bag again, or so it seems. What is it going to take for people to realize that this great nation is on the verge of being harmed irreparably? That this is not a gesture to be taken anything other than literally?