The Long Highway

Sunday, February 19, 2006

New Orleans

Hello, I'm back. Most of my updates these days are limited to Jack's blog (see link at right), mostly because I just haven't had the dang time to post anything else, or do much else besides school and daddy-ing. Work on my first thesis film continues apace, with a second cut of the film well underway. But I am posting now because I find myself in New Orleans for the next few days, as a guest lecturer at the University of New Orleans. It's part of a post-Katrina outreach effort by AFI that I volunteered to participate in. While it is odd to be away from my wife and baby for the first time since he came on the scene, it is a worthy effort indeed and a great city. Those who have visited my blog before know my views on the horrid bungling of the feebs in power in handling the woes of these folks. It feels good to be doing something concrete to help a film program that is working hard to bounce back. Tomorrow I will have a tour of the city and some of the affected areas, and tomorrow night I teach a film class. Tuesday is devoted to individual conferences with grad students, helping them with their work. So I will be posting some pictures and updates in the next few days.

Some time soon, I will be repurposing this blog to focus more on films and filmmaking -- or maybe starting another one and save my political rantings for this blog when I need to blow a fuse. So keep checking in.