The Long Highway

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Another week....

Not sure what to make of the Bush nomination for the Supreme Court. Very disappointed by the knee-jerk reactions of People for the American Way, et al., who seem to say," we don't really know where this man stands on anything, but we're sure he is a bastard because he wasn't our preferred pick." I am holding out hope that Wiffle-head can do one thing right in his whole presidency. A slender reed of hope, that. But let's learn a little more about this character before damning him.

Meanwhile here at home, I have had two interesting experiences of note being Mr. Mom. I researched some stuff on the Internet about Jack and mentioned to Genevieve that in a forum, "some of the other moms said . . ." when I suddenly caught myself and realized what I had said. I need to watch more sports. The reason I was researching things was, when Jack and I went out for our afternoon walk, I was eating a chicken sandwich next to him in the back seat of the car after we parked at the beach. I casually glanced down and the top of his cranium where his frontal soft spot is was pulsing vigorously up and down! Like, it looked like a phony B movie effect. I nearly gagged on my sandwich as I let out a high, quavering cry and stared at it like it was Hamlet's father's ghost. It stopped and I wondered if it was some trick of the light, but no! It began again!

So there was a phone call -- one of only a few -- to the wonderful nurses at our wonderful pediatrician's, asking in an embarassed way if this was normal. Yes, it is, they said. But it is still freaky, they agreed. Anyway, the "other moms" talked about this a lot!

So that's my life, basically. G has had to work Saturdays for like the last few weeks and will do so for several more. I wake up when Jack does at 7 or 8, feed him, put him in for a nap and have breakfast and tidy up, then he's up and sometimes stays up for almost the whole rest of the day. At the doctor's request I am giving him lots of playtime on his tummy. He seems to be getting the hang of the "daytime is awake time, nighttime is sleep time" thing but it will be a real treat in a few months when it has totally sunken in.

Later we'll walk the dog. I was very good about getting my exercise walks in last week. It is a real challenge -- between packing up Jack, getting him in the car, getting down to the beach, walking, and getting back home, my 30-minute walk eats up like 90 minutes. But it is really good to get out of the house. About the only thing that is getting to me is that I really never have more than an hour or so to direct my attention to anything, really no solitary time to gether my thoughts. I had planned on working on a video this summer but there is no practical way -- just trying to tend to Jack and keep the house a little bit in order and get some exercise every day is about the most I seem able to accomplish. Might try getting to bed earlier, and up earlier. Yeah, right. The only other thing is the fact that I hardly ever leave the house at all except for this little walk or a trip to the grocery store, but I am sure that once school kicks back in I will be yearning for such a thing.

But hey, Jack is so worth it. he makes me smile and smile and feel good whenever I look at him. He's that wonderful.

So that's why longer posts are few and far between. Mostly, I have time to blog out a quick link as below.

I am in the evenings beginning to try to work my way through film directors I don't know enough about. I'm on Fellini right now; La Dolce Vita last night, 8 1/2 (which I have seen once before) tonight. (Adding this on Jul 20, for some reason my full post did not complete). Was going to watch I Vitelloni tonight but Netflix did not send it to me, blessing me instead with Garden State, which I am not that interested in.

At the present moment it doesn't feel like G and I have really had a break, a vacation really of any kind, where we could just kick back and relax for a week or so with nothing much to do, for, oh, several years. Every trip has revolved around a family get-together (which, while fun, is not the lie-around-and-relax type of thing I am thinking of) or wedding (ditto) or some such thing, and on our extremely limited budget, and nonexistent available time, has meant that we do little in the way of personal relaxation. Is it the same for everyone? Maybe. I'm not whining about it, by any means, but I have rarely wanted more to just get away somewhere for a week where there isn't much to do but sit on a porch, watch a sunset on a quiet evening, sip some wine and read a book. Sounds so simple, and yet it is, at the present time, quite impossible.