The Long Highway

Monday, April 18, 2005

Oof.

It's 3 am on Monday. I am just getting to like, the last 20 discs that need to be entered into iTunes. We have something like 11,000 songs on the music server now. Still needs some organizing -- the Dead shows, a lot of them went in with only the date and the name of the band -- but the key thing is NO MORE CDs unless I need a pristine source for something or other. Eventually the full-on iPod will come, but until then I am going to set up a routine backup job for the music library.... I will not go through this hassle again!

Tonight was a great struggle to get dinner. Was making some simple pasta until I discovered I had grabbed the wrong sauce at the market and it was full of huge chunks of olives, anchovies, and other items G and I find repulsive. So we decided to order Chinese food from Kung Pao Kitty, yes that is their real name, our fave Chinese place. Well, after an hour and no food, I gave a call, and was assured they were merely busy and my order was en route. A full 45 minutes later there was still no food -- we live about a 2-minute drive away -- and I called to find out that the driver did not have the apartment or phone numbers, so he just left. This despite the fact that he DID have a name, and the directory on the front of the building quite clearly lists my name and buzzes my apartment.

So we just said to hell with it, and demanded a refund. I buzzed around the corner to Greco's to get some slices. No slices, some are cooking, says the pizza guy. Fuck it, I said, I'll just order a pizza: extra cheese and sausage. Right, says the man, extra cheese and mushrooms. (We ABHOR mushrooms.) No no, I corrected the fellow. Sausage. Oh, he says. I have to correct him one more time and then I walk over to one of the shitty Holywood Blvd. souvenir shops to kill a few minutes while my pizza cooks. (It's now like 10:10). I return 15 minutes later and halfway through the baking process, my pizza man is removing the pizza from the oven to apply the extra cheese. And he then proceeds to take massive handsful of mushrooms and spread them over the pizza pie. "That's not mine, is it?" I ask. Of course it is. Oops. He needs to make a whole new pizza now. So in short, roughly three hours wasted just trying to get meal.

So aside from that -- and a nice breakfast at EatWell in Silverlake, and a stop at Circuit City to pick up a couple of things, an uneventful Sunday filled with CD cataloging, personal planning, and some general Jack preparations.

Boris remains sluggish today. Hasn't touched his food. He seems alert, and totally responsive, just physically sluggish. We are going to try to get him in to the vet's tomorrow. We'll be away for a few days, for the most part, with the baby at the hospital, so it is important to check him out. He is an old, old dog and if he did catch something -- like maybe when he was at the groomer's the other day -- it will take him a little longer to bounce back. But he is not, right now, his usual peppy, happy self.

Played some Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, last round of that I will be likely to get in for a while. Tomorrow night we are off the the hospital. I MUST sleep now.