The Long Highway

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Red tide

I mentioned several posts ago what seemed to be an awful, stinky amount of pollution in the water. I wrote an email to the city inquiring about it, and an environmental staffer wrote back informing me that this stinky, disgusting slurry is red tide. Gotta stay away from the beaches with the little guy for a while -- and take a pass on any local shellfish until October, or so I understand. I have had bad late-night wheezing more than once after a long walk, and I read that this, sore throats and toher problems can be caused by inhaling the contaminants in the sea spray. Can't wait for this dastardly filth to go away. Eating seafood during red tide season means you are ingesting potentially unsafe neurotoxins, which are dealy to some marine life and can make people seriously ill. Just great, move a mile away from the beach and it's uninhabitable.